[mythtv-users] PATH, QTDIR, and qmake

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Sep 19 14:21:46 UTC 2006

On Tue Sep 19, 2006 at 08:07:36AM -0600, scott at tbwifi.ca wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> As you see at the top of this post, I was albe to set the QTDIR properly,
> but when I type
> $ which qmake
> it doesn't list the published directory.  I get
> /usr/bin/qmake
> instead of
> /usr/lib/qt3/bin/qmake

The setting of QTDIR is absolutely irrelevant when using 'which', as
this purely looks at the PATH variable.  If you wish to use
/usr/lib/qt3/bin/qmake instead of /usr/bin/qmake, then you have to make
sure that /usr/lib/qt3/bin appears ahead of /usr/bin in the PATH, e.g.
for bash, try "export PATH=/usr/lib/qt3/bin:${PATH}".

QTDIR becomes relevant (or should do) when using configure or other
automated programs, which ought to look there for QT executables,
libraries, etc. before trying the standard locations (PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc).

HTH,
        Robin
--