[mythtv-users] Update channel icons for your area (was Re: Sky Channel Icons)

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Tue Sep 19 10:12:01 UTC 2006

Around about 19/09/06 11:01, Paul Harrison typed ...
> I'm curious how this is going to work for the UK because we don't use
> call signs like in the US. So when different people set up there
> channels they could use different call signs for the same channel. Even
> the channel names can be different depending on what the source of the
> channel is or the personal preference of the user.

   True;  in case it doesn't work for anyone, I'll repost my solution, which
is based on the xmltvid of the channel.

   I collected the icons into a dir. and put that somewhere common (for me,
/usr/mythtv/icons) to all frontends.  My Sky/Freeview-based set is [from
lyngsat] at:

     http://www.fnxweb.com/data/mythtv-icons.tbz

     [unpack with 'tar jzf mythtv-icons.tbz]

   Then there's a bit of SQL to put these into the d/b:

     http://www.fnxweb.com/data/uk.sql

   Edit this to make it match the dir. you've stored the icons in, & do:

     mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg < uk.sql

   You might want to test this command with a copy of uk.sql that only has
one line in it (pref. a line with a channel you use).

   Please don't blame me if you stuff your SQL database!  If you're
uncertain about what's going on here, and/or uncertain about backing
up/restoring your SQL d/b, play it safe and don't do this.

   This covers as many of the channels listed by Radio Times as I could set
up;  there are several channels missing, but I did manually set up a load
that I watch but don't seem to be listed at lyngsat under 'UK'.  I've not
yet included the radio channels, although I do have the raw data [the icons
are there, I think] and may do if demand warrants.  I set up the 6-7
Freeview radio channels by hand in the d/b.

   Any corrections/omissions appreciated!  I matched a no. of them
[icon/channel to xmltv] automatically with a script, then finished off by
hand, so there may well be mistakes.  I also put some 'normal' channel icons
on the '+1' channels where I couldn't find a dedicated '+1' logo.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature