[mythtv-users] creating symlinks to a network nfs drive - - Help Please.

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Sep 18 19:52:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:00:04PM -0500, Mat Kyne wrote:
> I know that this is not strictly a MythTV question, but I am sure someone
> out there can help me out.
> I have a HD backend/frontend MythTV box running FC4 and MythTV 18.1. (it
> took me so long to get everything up and running I am scared to upgrade ). I
> converted my entire DVD collection to XviD and have them all stored on that
> backend. I convert most of my recordings to XviD and store them as videos in
> a separate folder. I am currently in the process of setting up a separate SD
> frontend/backend box in my garage. Here is the problem. I want access to all
> the movies and converted TV shows on my HD box, but not the current
> recordings (the new box couldn't play them anyway). I enabled NFS on the HD
> backend and created a mount point for it on the SD box. If I point MythTV
> (on the SD box) to that directory I can access the videos, but it does not
> preserve the folders hierarchy. An example of the folder hierarchy:
> "/videos/TV_Seasons/The 4400/Season 1/101 - pilot.avi" It is a nicely
> organized system that looks great in gallery view. However when I go to look
> for the file from the the SD MythTV box in gallery view, I have to scroll
> through 20 or 30 101 - ..., 102 - ... etc. So my bright idea was to use
> symlinks to recreate the directory tree on the SD MythTV box. So I tried "cp
> -lr /videos/* ." but I got an error message claiming that it cannot create a
> link to the remote device. I am sorry that I don't remember the exact error

Start with something like this to clone your structure.

	cd /media/videos
	find . -type d | xargs -ifred mkdir -p /tmp/mu/fred

Then create each symlink for each file in turn.

	find . -type f | xargs -ifred echo ln -s /media/videos/fred /tmp/mu/fred/fred

[deletia]

	I have a DVD repository made up of 3 drives linked together like that.
	I've also created links for my current recordings in my DVD repository
	so that all of my video can be browsed in one location.