[mythtv-users] OT: best way to connect IDE harddrives and dvd

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Sep 18 18:10:41 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:18:58PM -0400, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > All true, and (4) Linux will do its own smart caching of oft-accessed
> > info in any case.
> 	I don't believe Linux caches access to swap. That would be counter
> productive (i.e.  if it was going to live in the buffer cache, why swap
> it to disk in the first place? You wouldn't be regaining any memory that
> way.)

Perhaps not, but AFAIK it does swap programs to disk in order to
increase the available memory for i/o buffers (just like that other
operating system from Redmond).  If the swapped memory was still in
the i/o buffer when recall was neccessary then it would be ironic
but totally reasonable to recover the page from there.