[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and Channel change script for Myth TV

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 18:00:11 UTC 2006

On 18/09/06, Ramanraj Vamsi <ramanrajvamsi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>  But I am using a Hauppauge IR blaster Remote that came with the card.Does
> this mean that I have to use a DVB with a known code set(currently I am
> using Zenega CD-1004S for which I have n't come across the code set number
> in any link on that blog as well as the link specified in previous thread)?
>
>  How can I make my IR Blaster control my STB?
>
>  Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

If you have an unused serial port on your computer, the easiest way to
control your STB may well be to build/buy a serial port IR blaster
(this is what I did).

Your PVR-150 blaster is limited in the IR codes it can use, and it
would appear from your results that the blaster cannot emit codes that
will control your particular STB (did you try the 0863 code suggested
by Rick earlier?). Therefore, you need to find another way of
controlling it - and from experience the best way I have found is to
use a homebrew serial port IR transmitter (schematics on lirc.org).
Some STBs let you control them using a direct serial cable connection
but you must know for sure whether this is possible with your STB.

However, in order to be able to use \any\ transmitter with your STB,
you need to know which IR codes it uses. If the codes are not
available from the lirc.org site, I would use a serial port IR
receiver to record the STB remote's codes directly. However, as you
are using the PVR-150 IR receiver - you may well have problems
recording the remote, as Hauppauge IR receivers are limited to
receiving RC-5 based IR signals. Have you tried using irrecord to
record the STB's remote control?

It probably appears that there is no end in sight yet - I think that
of all the things that could cause problems for you, you have
experienced nearly all of them so far. From my experience using IR
with external STBs and remote controls, the things that I have proven
to work are serial IR receivers and transmitters.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/