[mythtv-users] Higer load in .20 ... might also affect debian-multimedia.org debs

Brad Fritz brad-mythtv at fritzfam.com
Mon Sep 18 17:48:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 04:45:50PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:

> > I have to wonder if it's something like MMX
> > support accidentally getting disabled in the packages..
> >
> > I unfortunately don't have an easy way to test the RPMs.
>
> Looks like that's true.  Unless I'm doing this wrong, it looks like the RPMs
> are currently not compiled with MMX support, which will cause drastically
> higher cpu usage for anything video related.  I still can't tell for certain,
> but it seems fairly clear.
>
> I did a strings output comparison of a library from the RPM and a
> self-compiled stripped 32-bit libmythavcodec:
>
> RPMs:
> strings libmythavcodec-0.20.so | grep mmx
>
> simplemmx
> libmpeg2mmx
> xvidmmx
>
> Compiled:
> strings libmythavcodec-0.20.so | grep mmx
>
> MPV_common_init_mmx
> dsputil_init_mmx
[..]
> ff_vp3_dsp_init_mmx
> ff_vp3_idct_mmx
> simplemmx
> libmpeg2mmx
> xvidmmx

Looks like Christian Marillat's packages on debian-multimedia.org
might also be affected:

  $ dpkg -l libmyth-0.20 | grep ^ii
  ii  libmyth-0.20   0.20-0.0       Common library code for MythTV and add-on modules (runtime)

  $ strings /usr/lib/libmythavcodec-0.20.so.0.20.0 | grep mmx
  simplemmx
  libmpeg2mmx
  xvidmmx

I submitted a bug report to Christian against libmyth-0.20 version
0.20-0.0.

--Brad