[mythtv-users] Network Drive Storage Questions and others.

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 23:06:10 UTC 2006

Excelent information, i'll be replying more once I can consolidate and
process all of whats in here.

As an FYI I am using HighDef, I have a pcHD3000 card in the box, but only
one tuner.  Don't see a huge need for a second tuner or to be recording more
than one thing at once, I'm not a huge TV buff, just enough that there are
some shows every season I just don't want to miss.  I have an NVidia 6200 in
there so ASSUMABLY XvMC is available, though i'm running a 2.8 HT Intel
processor and HD is still running slowly for me...not nearly as smooth as
through my TV and periodicly jumping/tearing...some stations have
audio/video out of sync issues as well (or did, havn't gotten anything into
.20 yet to see if that's been fixed).  Any sure way to tell if XvMC is
running or not?

As to the whole networked file system thing, what's this myth_archive_job.pl
script?  Is this included within the myth installation (/usr/share/mythtv
somewhere) or is this a put together thing I can find in the WIKI
somewhere?  I assume what this thing does is moves the physical data from
one drive to another drive before playback?

I had always expected that I needed to have one huge LVM Partition mounted
to the frontend for this all to work, am I to understand some of you have
like /video1, /video2, /video3, partitions out there and simply simlink to
the various files from your /video partition?  Does MythArchiver work in a
situation such as this?

Can anyone go a bit more indepth into this kind of setup as to how this
somewhat works?  Having multiple drives non LVM all running seperate from
each other storing files would definately be my method of choice (can chose
to backup a given drive or not depending on the criticality of the data.)

And while i've got some attention here, does anyone have a backup solution
that doesn't involve "Oh heck, i've just lost 2 years of programming because
my drive died." :)

--Douglas Wagner