[mythtv-users] OT: best way to connect IDE harddrives and dvd

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sun Sep 17 16:23:03 UTC 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 14:18, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 11:14 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >
> > 60GB /dev/hda
> > hda1 32M boot partition - define as type raid
> > hda2 4G root partion - define as type raid
> > hda3 500M swap partion
>
> 	I mostly agree, but one point to mention is that it is typically a good
> idea to make your swap partition be located at the outer edge of the
> disk, where the rotational speed of the disk give the most advantage to
> throughput.

I never heard that one before, are you sure its true? It would mean that the
number of blocks in the outside cylinders was larger than the number on the
inside (which is plausible with LBA) but I thought each cylinder had the same
number of blocks.

My reasoning for putting the partition where I did, is more to do with head
movement. Its sitting between root and the other data, so minimising the
movement of the heads to reach the swap area.  If you put swap at the outside
the heads have further to go on average.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk