[mythtv-users] Network Drive Storage Questions and others.

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 16:07:04 UTC 2006

All,

     So i've had my MythTV setup now for about 6 months and loving it to
death.  Wife's happy, i'm happy, it's all good.

Big problem is I went with a 250g disk for /video, which I knew at the time
was small.  Amazingly enough (NOT) it's full...gee, couldn't have guessed
that would happen.

So, starting to look at a new drive but also starting to re-consider the
whole structure.

Currenlty I have a frontend/backend on one computer with the drive
internal.  Works as a basic Myth box, no questions about that.  I'm starting
to try to figure out about client / server installs and off computer disk
storage.

Networked disk storage: Considering building or having a computer who's use
is network disk storage.  What i've got right now is IDE (unfortunately it's
not sata but money doesn't grow on trees and a new computer right now is
kinda out of the question).  I can go up to 4 disks on the controller i've
got right now (it's a raid controller).  Is IDE going to cut it across a
network?  Will a PII 400 cut it for a disk array device for harddrive
storage of Myth Videos (Don't see why not).  Figuring exports via both Samba
and NFS...nfs exporting the drive area SHOULD get mytharchiver to make it
think the files are local.  Is 100 Base T going to do it for streaming the
myth recordings out to a foreign disk or do I need to go with gigabit? (Yes,
it's wired)

Opinoin question: If you were going to build a network drive array right now
how would you do it?  Stay away from SCSI, I don't think I could afford to
go there.

Frontend/Backend: Don't quite have the computer for this yet don't think but
in the future, what kind of horsepower does the front end / back end need?
Do they both need 3g+ CPUs or does one or the other only need something
significantly slower?

Thanks for the advice.

--Douglas Wagner