[mythtv-users] mythvideo and NFS

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 14:10:39 UTC 2006

On 9/17/06, Tony Di Bona <dibona at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Group:
>
> My mythTV setup has a backend server with two tuner card and a frontend
> player. I have configured mythvideo to use xine, which accesses the video
> files from a mounted NFS store.
>
> Network throughput appears to be about 60Mbps (using cp a 5GB transfer takes
> 11 minutes), however xine has the occasional random split second pause in
> playback when watching a video.
>
> I presume the issue is network related an am hoping that there is a buffer
> setting in either mythvideo or xine which would allow me to avoid these
> occasional playback pauses.
>
> I realize the number of variables is large (PCI interrupts on both ends,
> ethernet interface, routers) but I would appreciate any guidance on how to
> address the playback pause over a NFS network.
>
> Tony.

I can copy a 5GB video in about 3 minutes with my gigabit
( with jumbo frames ) network setup.  Even on a 100mbit
link, 11 minutes seems a bit slow.

I'm using:
rw,noatime,hard,intr,nfsvers=3,tcp,nolock,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
for my nfs mount options.

I use autofs to mount my drives via NFS off of my NAS box.

jack