[mythtv-users] TV-Out to FX5200 migration

Martin Ravell mythtv at rave-tech.com.au
Sun Sep 17 10:32:06 UTC 2006

I've just bitten the bullet and re-installed my Myth box by buying a new
hard drive and setting up from scratch with a brand new OS (FC5). In
addition to a new install of Myth (0.20 from the ATRPMs) I've opted to use a
GeForce FX5200 board instead of the PVR-350's TV-Out that I had on my FC3 /
0.18 setup. Given that the 350 is falling out of favour for playback I
though that it would be good to make this move. I also want to get MAME to
work!

Should I expect to get a similar level of quality in my video playback on
the fx5200 that I got on my PVR-350?

I seem to be getting compression artefacts in my playback. There is
"tearing" which happens when a scene pans or where there is a lot of
movement.

The machine is a P4 2.4 GHz Intel board and I'm seeing about 9% CPU
utilisation during playback.

Can anyone suggest good settings for such a rig?

Should I be using XvMC? If so do I need to switch to CVS and compile instead
of using the ATRPM's?

I've tried various combinations of things in mythtvsetup and the setup area
within mythfrontend but without much joy.

Can anyone suggest a nice magic bullet for getting good quality playback on
this 5200 card?

Regards

Marty