[mythtv-users] How do set channels preferences and link channels with the tv program guide

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sun Sep 17 09:42:14 UTC 2006

I have finally got my two usb dvb-t cards to deliver reliable video from a
common aerial.  So I am now into the phase of trying to make mythtv work in a
backend/frontend configuration.  I am in the UK near the Crystal Palace
transmitter.

In mythtv-setup I have created two cards, and a single video source which both
cards link to (I assume that is correct?)

In the video source, dialog, for XMLTV listing grabber I use United Kingdom
(alternative) which tells me its using tv_grab-uk_rt to get the listings.  I
also have the "Perform EIT Scan" checked.

My first problem, is that selecting this brings me into a terminal window in
which I have to say "yes" or "no" to hundreds of channels, whereas my cards
only have about 30 odd channels they tune to, and even less that I am
particularly interested in.

Is there anyway to simply select a small subset of the potential channels to
allow mythtv to see on the tuner, and to limit the tv_grab_uk_rt questions to
just those channels.  I really am NOT interested in stuff like "Bid-Up Tv" or
even CBBC

Secondly, regardless of the first answer, is there anyway to order channels in
the user interface so that the higher priority ones (ie BBC 1, and ITV1 etc)
are grouped together and the lower priority ones (such as BBC NEWS 24 or
whatever) are out of the way.  This is particularly annoying whilst watching
TV, and to select between the two you have to go via a number of pretty
irrelevent channels.

[I don't mind doing some poking around with SQL to achieve this if necessary]

Thirdly, there seems to be a mismatch between the channel name as provided by
the tuners and that provided by the XMLTV grabber,  for instance, my tuner
calls BBC 1 "BBC ONE", where as the grabber calls it "BBC 1".  As a result I
have program listing for BBC1, but can't tune to them, AND an entry in the
program guide for "BBC ONE" for channels full of "unknown".  The implication
of the user interface is that if I go into the channel editor and select the
BBC ONE channel, and put "BBC1" into the XMLTV ID field.  But I tried that
and it didn't work.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk