[mythtv-users] setup error

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Sep 16 22:59:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 02:29:32AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/15/06 19:36, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> >Note that Myth 0.19 is more or less stable.
> Nor does MythTV 0.19 work with MySQL 5.  MythTV 0.19-fixes or higher
> must be used with MySQL 5.

I'm running Myth 0.19 with MySQL 5.0 and it works perfectly, at
least on Debian boxes.  The Debian MySQL 5.0 libraries are
backward-compatible with 4.1 clients.

Package: mysql-common
Maintainer: Christian Hammers <ch at debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: mysql-dfsg-5.0
Version: 5.0.24-1
Replaces: mysql-common-4.1
Provides: mysql-common-4.1
Conflicts: mysql-common-4.1

Package: mysql-server-5.0
Maintainer: Christian Hammers <ch at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: mysql-dfsg-5.0
Version: 5.0.24-1
Replaces: mysql-server (<< 5.0.24-1), mysql-server-4.1
Provides: mysql-server, virtual-mysql-server, mysql-server-4.1

The Debian packages for libqt3-mt-mysql no longer refer to any
specific MySQL version, and Christian Marillat's Myth-0.19-10 build
is similarly free of restrictions.

> But, perhaps I should have just come out and said, "Either use the
> current version or find someone else to help you because I don't feel
> like telling you how to put changes into 0.18 that exist in the current
> release," because that's the reason my standard reply will be,
> "upgrade--it's fixed in the current version."

I'll admit that this answer is better than "it's fixed in SVN".

It would probably be best, however, if you simply didn't bother to
reply to people who want help with older versions rather than
filling the list with messages saying that you refuse to help them
because they aren't living on the bleeding edge of instability with
you.  Please go right ahead and answer questions when someone
running 0.20-fixes complains that nothing is working, but don't try
to convince everyone else to break their systems, too.