[mythtv-users] OT: Re: Motherboard Recommendation

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sat Sep 16 00:04:00 UTC 2006

Mache Creeger wrote:
> Memory is set to autodetect.  I think the board is bad.  But, given that
> the machine has been down for a week, I am buy a replica of my old board
> and will play with this after I have a working system.

I've got that exact board in one of my smaller systems, and while it was
working, I've taken it out of production for now until I get a change to
work on it.

The problem?  Bad caps.  Take a look at the caps on the board.  If the
tops look like tinned food that's been sitting too long (bulging), that
may be why the board died.

If you are handy enough with a soldering iron, you could replace them
and potentially save some cash.  I'm going to be recapping mine as soon
as I sit down and order the caps.

Just a thought...