[mythtv-users] Dual-FireWire troubles in 0.20 solution found

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Sep 15 20:03:57 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> Or, so you tried to tell Daniel.  He responded back with
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/183967#183967 .
> Remember the part about, "(To big a buffer can give you thrashing
> which destroys performance.)"?

May I ask what your problem is? This is the second time you've snapped
at me out of the blue
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/185920#185920>
and
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/186001#186001>)
after I offer correct and, hopefully, useful information to the list.

For the record:

* I have 1.5GB of RAM. One guess on what my swap usage is. (A clue:
  It's the same as the level of your knowledge of basic social
  etiquette.)
* I had HD ringbuffer set to 96000 (or whatever that maximum value is)
  in 0.18, 0.19, and 0.19-fixes with no problems recording from dual
  FireWire boxes. 0.20 broke this. After Jim kindly helped me out I
  decided to pass the word on for others' benefit. Acting as such is
  generally considered a good thing.

> (Not to mention the part about, "It is very easy to break MythTV
> playing with the TFW params.")

The current issue has nothing to do with the TFW parameters (although,
for the record, boosting them caused me no problems I'm aware of and
considerable good, as I've discussed on the list several times), as I
haven't tweaked them at all in 0.20 as I can't get Axel's SRPMs to
rebuild.

> IMHO, a "longer-term solution" isn't necessary just so you can use
> your overly-large HDRingbufferSize.

Define "overly-large." 96MB is what mythfrontend permits it to go up
to.

> If you want to use 96MB, get another backend and use 96MB in each or
> get more RAM or put your MySQL on another system or ...

Let me repeat: I have 1.5GB of RAM. And you, sir, need some
counseling. I don't care if you are a MythTV developer; that may give
you some license to be rude, but not to be rude *and* wrong.