[mythtv-users] Most Reliable FS. XFS maybe causing crash

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Sep 15 19:24:53 UTC 2006

Mark wrote:
> Anyway, I am going to move of XFS.
> Question, is ext3 the MOST reliable ( but performant enough ) FS to go with?
> Reliability at this point is pretty critical so....
> I was using XFS on Jerods guide recommend but JFS may also be an option but I
> know little about it.

I had a terrible XFS crash early on with myth.  Basically the FS
collapsed without warning, losing all data on a 500 GB RAID and locking
up the server.

I've replaced it with JFS and have had no problems since.

I run jfs on a RAID-5 and ext3 on RAID-5.  I'd recommend both/either.

The performance of JFS is OK; I've not noticed any performance
problems.  Mostly my backend is CPU and memory bound.

--Yan