[mythtv-users] MythTV build story, Part II: x86 versus AMD64?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 15 18:43:41 UTC 2006

On 09/15/06 08:26, Richard Krehbiel wrote:

> I'm (slowly) getting my MythTV box running, and I'm starting to
> second-guess an earlier decision, specifically to install Fedora Core
> 5 for 32-bit x86.
>
> Now, I've been reading about how the x86 version RPMs of .20 were
> built without MMX enabled, because of which the performance has
> suffered, and how the 64 bit build didn't have that problem because
> all x86-64 platforms have MMX and SSE and SSE2, and so these
> technologies are enabled, nay required, by default.
>
> And that's led me to think I should reinstall, with 64-bit FC5.

Typos/mistakes can be made on any build.  This time, it just happened to
be on the 32-bit build, but there's nothing inherent about 64-bit builds
that prevents mistakes from being made.  (AMD/Intel are good, but not
/that/ good.)

And, Axel has been pushing the fixes out, so it really shouldn't matter
which approach you take.

Mike