[mythtv-users] MythTV build story, Part II: x86 versus AMD64?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Sep 15 18:06:33 UTC 2006

Richard Krehbiel wrote:
> I'm (slowly) getting my MythTV box running, and I'm starting to
> second-guess an earlier decision, specifically to install Fedora Core 5
> for 32-bit x86.
>
> Now, I've been reading about how the x86 version RPMs of .20 were built
> without MMX enabled, because of which the performance has suffered, and
> how the 64 bit build didn't have that problem because all x86-64
> platforms have MMX and SSE and SSE2, and so these technologies are
> enabled, nay required, by default.
>
> And that's led me to think I should reinstall, with 64-bit FC5.
> Considering I've not even downloaded MythTV yet* this would be the
> perfect time.

i'm running FC5 x86_64 on an AMD Athlon64 3400+ box and haven't had a
single problem regarding the 64-bit processor or the 64-bit OS ...
before, i was running FC4 32-bit on an Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz and this
new system blows it away with just as few problems as I had on the
original 32-bit hardware.  i haven't had any major show-stopper problems
w/ 0.20 on FC5 x86_64 and the only problems i've had were cosmetic
issues w/ mythweb