[mythtv-users] My Perennial Problems with XvMC

Normand Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 14 21:47:24 UTC 2006

I want to let everyone know that I have no problems viewing HD with XVMC.  I have an AMD Athlon XP 2500, 1 Gig ram, Nvidia FX5500. I had HD going smoothly for about 7 months but at some point last summer, I experienced some issues after upgrading either kernel, nvidia drivers, myth, I can't recall, but from memory, here's what I checked before determining that /etc/X11/XvMCConfig needed to be properly tweaked:

- Since I use Gentoo, ensured that xvmc was in my USE flags
- Made certain X was using the nvidia driver and not the default nv driver in xorg.conf
- In an xterm session, checked my X server had xvmc enabled (xdpyinfo and look for XVideoMotionCompensation in the list of supported extensions
- Review /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors (or maybe did a startx and redirected to a file)
- Review mythfrontend console window output.
- In one of these hunting expeditions, I saw an error about xvmc libraries so I was now onto something.

In the end, I had just about everything set up (including enabling XvMC in mythfrontend).  The only thing I did was to create the file /etc/X11/XvMCConfig which contains one line: /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1.  For good measure, I rebooted my system just to make sure everything was properly re-initialized.  Boom, I was able to view my HD recordings perfectly.

I hope I help steer some of you in the right direction.  I share your pain.

Norm

John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote: Add me to the list of people having problems with HD playback.  In
fact I was just in the process of compiling information so that I
could post about this very problem.  My frontend system has an AMD
3100+ processor, with 1 GB of memory, and an FX5200 video card.
What's strange for me is that when I first setup Myth earlier this
year I was able playback HD.  I did have some issues, but overall it
was acceptable.  Then I didn't do much with HD throughout the summer.
Now it has regressed to where I can't watch HD reliably anymore.
Upgrading to .20 seems to have made things worse, but I was having the
problems before I upgraded.  I've played around with a bunch of the
settings (with and without XvMC, with and without audio buffering,
etc.) but haven't found the right combination (if there is one).  With
different setting I get different results; choppy playback, slow
playback, etc., but none are acceptable.