[mythtv-users] Higer load in .20

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Thu Sep 14 20:45:50 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 4:08 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 2:24 pm, John Lundell wrote:
> > I too am having huge problems with HD playback on 0.20.  It is
> > unwatchable on my P4 3.0 processor.  On 0.19 using libmpeg2, bob deint
> > with 1080i input, mythfrontend was at about 70% cpu and X was at about
> > 30%.  Since this was running SMP on a hyperthreading processor, it was
> > fine.  Now on 0.20, the frontend is at 99.9% and the playback stutters.
> > I have tried turning on or off OpenGL Vsync, using XvMC (which reduces
> > the CPU usage to 30% but still stutters), and nothing works.  In both
> > cases (0.19 and 0.20) I am using Axel's packages from ATrpms (thanks for
> > these!).
>
> Everyone with this problem seems to be using the RPMs (at least, of those
> that have made a distinction).  I have to wonder if it's something like MMX
> support accidentally getting disabled in the packages..
>
> I unfortunately don't have an easy way to test the RPMs.

Looks like that's true.  Unless I'm doing this wrong, it looks like the RPMs
are currently not compiled with MMX support, which will cause drastically
higher cpu usage for anything video related.  I still can't tell for certain,
but it seems fairly clear.

I did a strings output comparison of a library from the RPM and a
self-compiled stripped 32-bit libmythavcodec:

RPMs:
strings libmythavcodec-0.20.so | grep mmx

simplemmx
libmpeg2mmx
xvidmmx

Compiled:
strings libmythavcodec-0.20.so | grep mmx

MPV_common_init_mmx
dsputil_init_mmx
ff_fdct_mmx
ff_fdct_mmx2