[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

Andrew Casper andrew at andrewcasper.com
Thu Sep 14 19:05:55 UTC 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 2:42 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:

> Aaron Howard wrote:
>> 1. Is it possible/feasible/easy to combine two sources into one (the
>> reverse of a splitter?) to get an OTA antenna and the cable signal
>> onto one RG-6 input to a tuner card?
>
> This question comes up every now and then but I don't recall anyone
> reporting that they actually tried it. I think it should be
> possible as
> long as you don't have frequency overlap (i.e. you don't combine
> channels on the same frequency but with different modulation).

You can't merge two divergent signals that way. It would be possible
if you were talking about joining VHF and UHF antennas together
(dating myself there), but an antenna signal is different from a
cable signal. Besides, how would Myth decide how to tune it?

Consider buying a second card - is might cost more money, but it is
the easiest way to go and you'll avoid the headaches.

- Andrew