[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

Aaron Howard archanoid at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 18:19:38 UTC 2006

Background:

My cable provider does not carry all of my local OTA HD broadcasts due
to contract disputes.  Therefore, some local HD channels (as well as
some non-local HD like ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc.) are available via QAM-256
from the cable system and some are only available via ATSC OTA.

Two questions:

1. Is it possible/feasible/easy to combine two sources into one (the
reverse of a splitter?) to get an OTA antenna and the cable signal
onto one RG-6 input to a tuner card?

2. Do most HD tuner cards (I have a Kworld ATSC-110 already but I'm
not married to it) allow switching back and forth between tuning ATSC
and QAM channels relatively painlessly?

I understand some cards will not do NTSC and ATSC/QAM at the same time
and basically once you set it up for one you can only switch to the
other by unloading and reloading the module/firmware, etc. (correct?)
but I'm not sure about switching between ATSC and QAM.

Thanks,
-Aaron

--
==