[mythtv-users] Higer load in .20

Rich Harkins rich at worldsinfinite.com
Thu Sep 14 15:24:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 11:21 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-13-09 at 17:06 +0200, barchanski at poczta.fm wrote:
> > I have also noticed that playing LiveTV on .20 requires approx. 2 time more CPU than on 0.19
>
> Wait people!
>
> All these complaints of load are while watching LiveTV/recordings.  Did
> the display of recordings incorporate some kind of OpenGL changes too?
> If not, OpenGL is a red herring here.  Let's not get distracted by
> things that may not have anything to do with the load.
>
> If the load increase is with playing streams then we need to concentrate
> on what happened to stream playing from 0.19 to 0.20.  Sadly IMHO, this
> same thing happened from 0.18 to 0.19.  The playback engine required
> more CPU.  Seems it's happened again.  :-(
>
> Glad I am going to do my upgrade to 0.20 in such a way that I can
> completely back out to 0.19 very easily if I have to on my poor little
> PIII-600 if I have to.
>
> b.

I'm seeing 100% CPU usage with mythbackend while recording, regardless
of whether the frontend is playing.  I haven't had a chance to check to
see if it was pegged when the frontend was killed.  strace of
mythbackend during pegging indicates uninteresting levels of system
calls, making me guess it's in the compressor or something along those
lines (but that is just a guess).

Rich