[mythtv-users] [OT] Troubleshooting unexpected shutdowns

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 13:23:34 UTC 2006

On 9/14/06, Russell Brown <rmbzzz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Mythtv setup that has worked well for 8 months.
> (Thanks to all who have helped develop the software.)
>
> A few days ago, after a thunderstorm,
> the backend has started to shutdown once
> a day or so. Shutdowns usually
> happen during recording.
> There is nothing in /var/log/messages
> or /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log at the time
> of shutdown.
>
> I suspect a hardware problem. My question
> is:
> Where do I start to troubleshoot?

Is it an instant power off? Check the powersupply. I have seen this with a
couple of machines in my department after there was some electrical work
done in our building. Replacing the powersupply fixed the problem in all
cases. If you do find that to be a problem I recommed
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023 we have
dozens of them and they work great.

John

John