[mythtv-users] Making it work

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 11:31:40 UTC 2006

On 14/09/06, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> After a lot of hardwork, I have got my two freecom usb sticks to seemingly
> work on a backend server.
>
> At least I am able to watch BBC ONE on the front end.
>
> However, I am struggling with something.
>
> 1) I did a scan to locate channels.  The whole process took about an hour
> - is
> that normal?
>
> 2) During that time I get loads of errors reported, like:-
>
> 2006-09-14 00:39:14.994 Error: offset>181, pes length & current can not be
> queried
>
> and this
>
> 2006-09-14 01:06:02.263 DVBSM(1): Failed to open demux
> device /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0 for filter on pid 719
> 2006-09-14 01:06:02.841 DVBSM(1): Failed to open demux
> device /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0 for filter on pid 719
>
> 3) I did the scan twice, the first time it only found a few channels, the
> second time it found loads. Is this variability normal?
>
> --
> Alan Chandler
> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
> Hi Alan

A scan only takes about 5 minutes for me with no errors other tha n the
occasional -110.

have you tried tscan at a command prompt? cnnot remember the exact syntax,
but you will need frequency and qam for you local transmitter. there is
plenty of stuff on the net about using the dvb utils and mplayer etc to scan
tune, and then watch a dvb stream. try this site for information
http://www.carfax.org.uk/docs/DVB/

Also this site has channel details in for various transmitters
http://linux.mikeasoft.com/dvb.php. What I had to do in myth was put the
frequency and qam in for my local transmitter, before it would scan. the
information you need is on the scan list for the transmitters. If the entry
for your local transmitter has a channel list,  you could try downloading
the channel list of that site, and importing it into myth.

cheers

Gary