[mythtv-users] quality

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 13 00:17:05 EDT 2006

On 09/12/06 19:38, Phill Edwards wrote:

>>First, you shouldn't use 1280x1024.  You need square pixels for
>>everything to work properly in Myth.  So, if you have a 4:3 display, you
>>should use one of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, ...
>>

>What if you have a 16:9 display? On this basis wouldn't you need a
>resolution like 720x405? That looks a bit weird - I thought it was
>supposed to be 720x576 (for PAL).

Here are some of the most common resolutions, aspect ratios, and their
DisplaySize's which yield 100x100dpi.  Note that if your output has to
be a PAL output resolution (i.e. you have a PVR-350), you're out of luck
and nothing you do will allow both text/graphics alignment and proper
aspect ratio (when using Xv--i.e. when not using the PVR-350 decoder,
such as when playing MythVideo videos or recordings captured with
framegrabbers or ...).  So, choose the lesser of the two weevils (which
includes deciding which, for you, is the lesser).  See, for example,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/184036#184036 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/189447#189447 .

### Ensure you choose a resolution whose aspect ratio
### matches that of your screen
# For 1920x1080 at 100dpi  (16:9)
#       DisplaySize  487 274
# For 1280x720 at 100dpi  (16:9)
#       DisplaySize  325 182
# For 1920x1200 at 100dpi  (16:10)
#       DisplaySize  487 304
# For 1680x1050 at 100dpi  (16:10)
#       DisplaySize  426 266
# For 1440x900 at 100dpi  (16:10)
#       DisplaySize  365 228
# For 1280x960 at 100dpi  (4:3)
#       DisplaySize  325 243
# For 1024x768 at 100dpi (4:3)
#       DisplaySize  260 195
# For 800x600 at 100dpi  (4:3)
#       DisplaySize  203 153
# For 640x480 at 100dpi  (4:3)
#       DisplaySize  162 121

Basically, though, if your physical display's aspect ratio and your
resolution's aspect ratio don't match (i.e. if your pixels aren't
square), your display/display configuration is not well suited for usage
as a dedicated Myth display.  If you can't change the display
configuration, your display (=hardware--either the video output device
or the screen or both) is the problem.

That being said, living with text/graphics offsets is definitely do-able.

Mike