[mythtv-users] quality

Sergei Gerasenko gerases at publicschoolworks.com
Tue Sep 12 16:30:59 EDT 2006

> First, you shouldn't use 1280x1024.  You need square pixels for
> everything to work properly in Myth.  So, if you have a 4:3 display, you
> should use one of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, ...

Cool. But I tried 800x600 yesterday. Wasn't much better.

> Go to a digital broadcast form (i.e. ATSC or, for you, probably DVB).
> High-definition digital is your best bet.

I just want the quality that my regular TV has, or close to it.

> Other things you can do include:
>     - Use a different resolution.  While the electronics of the PVR-x50
> and the signal prevent much quality difference at > 480x480 capture
> resolution, some cards have problems with other resolutions (i.e. at
> least some versions of ivtv drivers gave very poor quality for
> PVR-150's/PVR-500's at any resolution other than the max--i.e. 720x480
> (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL)).
>     - Modify the recording bitrate.  You should have long surpassed the
> maximum quality at about 6000kbps with a max of 8000kbps or so, but
> probably will get pretty much the same quality at about 4500kbps
> average/6000kbps max.  Both of these bitrates assume a recording
> resolution of 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL).

That's great information. I'll try it.

By the way, I don't know if that could be the reason for the problem,
but I get "Can't get the color key and we need it" error all the time.
Does that mean anything?

Thanks!!!