[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs - audio and video questions

Trey Thompson trey at verustech.com
Tue Sep 12 15:56:44 EDT 2006

> Check the mythfrontend log, mplayer's output should display there
> letting you know whats happening. It sounds like mplayer is failing to
> play the disc for some reason. I believe the two methods use different
> launch commands.
>
> Through the Rip menu, does it play back via mplayer? (I've never used
> the Rip features, so I'm unsure to exactly how it does things).

I saw some posts last night about that (looking at mythfrontend.log).  I
couldn't find it, got tired, and went to bed.  :)  That file is nowhere
on my system...?

> > meaning,
> > talking...?  I've
> > > used
> > >
> > > sounds like it expects 5.1 channels and your only using stereo
> > speakers.
> >
> > I thought about that while driving today.  So, I'm in the "line out
/
> > Front L/R Out" port on my motherboard.  So, it seems to me that
since
> > I'm just using stereo, it's only getting the front l/r channels.
But if
> > I plugged in a 6 channel speaker system, it should get it all OK.
Does
> > this sound correct?  I'm going to test with National Lampoon's
Vacation
> > when I get home, I know that it's stereo only.
> >
> > If that IS correct, is there a way to "combine" the audio into just
> > stereo output like a TV?
>
> you can check to see if its outputing to the other speakers by just
> plugging your existing speakers into the other channel outputs on your
> soundcard/motherboard. With mplayer you can tell it to downmix to
> stereo output. I forget the command, "man mplayer" will have it.
>
> or upgrade to 0.20 and use the internal player ;-)

Upgrading is the plan!  :)  I'm just not good enough, so I'm waiting for
Axel's awesome rpms to be ready for an idiot like me. :)