[mythtv-users] Large Drive setup for myth

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 18:47:26 UTC 2006

Maybe my concerns for LVM are unfounded. I am sure that LVM is
'stable' but I'm more concerned with hardware failures.

Say that you have a 1.5TB LVM partition made up of
4-5 drives. What happens to the 1.5TB of data if you
loose one of the drives? Do you loose just the data
on the drive... or do you screw up the whole LVM
partition? How easy is it to get the 1.5TB - less the
failed drive - back up and available?  I'd hate to loose
it all if one of the drives cratered.

I got burned a couple of times with software raid
and now I'm a bit concerned with 'virtual' drives.
My software raid mirrored ( perfectly ) my corrupted
file system. Instead of one bad / corrupted file system,
I had several raid drive copies of it. ;( They mirror
part did work....

jack