[mythtv-users] Preferred video card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 11 06:04:50 UTC 2006

On 09/10/06 21:56, Dewey Smolka wrote:

>>Both cards cost also around the same, so I'm going to pick one up. Is
>>there a compelling reason to prefer the FX5200 chipset over the 6200?
>>

>In short, probably not. The fx5200 has been the prefered card because
>1) it works, and 2) it is (or has been) cheaper. MythTV users tend to
>be a frugal lot, or at least tend to look for the best deals on a
>given piece of hardware.
>
>I'm not aware of any issues or problems with the 6xxx series cards.

Although the 6x00 series of cards use the 3D hardware for video (pixel
shaders/video texture) and the 5x00 series and below use the
chroma-keyed overlay approach.  Currently the overlay is better
supported.  In the future, the 3D hardware may be better supported (but,
by then, the 6200 will probably be available for about a dollar ;).

Mike