[mythtv-users] Computer to TV connection advice needed

Lonnie Borntreger myth at borntreger.com
Sat Sep 9 11:02:14 UTC 2006

I have a working MythTV network.... two backends with a total of 4
tuners and 3 frontends (running on desktop systems in the bedrooms and
office).  I also have one more configured frontend ready.  So far, that
has only seen service on special occasions (kids party or something like
that) when I can borrow a projection system (with vga input) from a
friend.  However, I would like to place it into permanent service in the
family room for a much more comfortable viewing experience.

That is where the problem comes up.  I don't have the money to buy a
projector (and the family room really isn't big enough for it), and a
"modern" TV with vga/dvi inputs is right out also, for now..... and my
TV, while not too old, and quite nice, only has composite and s-video
inputs.

So, here is question one: Should I get a computer to TV converter box
and use my current video card and X config, or get a video card with
s-video/composite output and deal with re-writing and tuning my X
config?  I can get a converter box off Ebay for $76 (including
shipping), but I see I can get a decent nVidia video card with s-video
out from Ebay for around $25.

While I've been using Linux for (what seems like) forever (since kernel
0.99pl13 with fvwm1), I've gotten way past the age where I enjoy
spending time tweaking modelines and such (age defeats l33t-ness).  That
leads to question two:  How hard is it these days to set up the X config
for s-video output?

I know that the converter box would not be "future proof", as it will
never be able to do HDTV. That brings up question three: (much lower
priority) If I focused on a video card, what outputs work best for
future use with a HDTV (USA) TV; s-video or DVI?

Thanks for your input.
Lonnie Borntreger
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.