[mythtv-users] LightWeight Window Manager & fonts

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 01:51:24 UTC 2006

> I've never heard of this myself, but, assuming this information is
> correct, what about the display device? I think many of the HDTV
> displays (and projectors) on the market today seem to scale or
> upconvert to one resolution. For example, an 720p source input might
> be upconverted and displayed as 1080i.
>
> The question boils down to where do you want your scaling to be done
> at?
[snip]

I've read (yeah, like I can quote my source, take this with a grain
of... sand) that you want scaling to be finished by the time it
reaches your display device.  It is certainly possible for your
[projector/tv/plasma] to scale an input resolution from 800x600 to
1600x1200.  But (again, whatever I read I can't remember where it was,
maybe it was this list...) the best scaling is done on your hardware
nearest the video output (so for us in our PC's) and so if possible,
scale at the source and not at the display.

-Chad