[mythtv-users] Can Myth be configured to control two separate

Charles H. Chapman ccmail at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 8 20:14:30 UTC 2006

> Hi, all. I'm getting ready to build my first MythTV box. I
> would prefer a
> dual input system, but I'm a DirecTV subscriber. If I
> understand what I've
> read so far, I would need to have some way to allow Myth to control 2
> different set top boxes. I would have to use either IR
> blaster or a direct
> serial connection according to the
> FAQ<http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.27>.
> Can one Myth box be configured to control 2 separate set top boxes?

This is off topic from your original question but are you aware that you
can't simply use a splitter to tee two DirecTV boxes off the same coax
coming from your DirecTV dish?  You have to have a separate coax running
from each DirecTV box to an LNB on your dish (OR an associated multiswitch
that is connected to both LNBs).  A detailed explanation of this is given
here:

http://www.hometech.com/learn/dss.html

Chuck