[mythtv-users] MythTV: Best Remote Control

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:17:31 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know there are a lot of choices out there as far as remote controls go and
> I am looking to change remotes and go to one that will do more features for
> me. I was wondering what everyone else out there was using successfully to
> do more than move around in the myth menus. Some features that I am looking
> to be able to do with one remote:
>
> Turn Tv Off/On
> Power PC on from remote
> Control Surround Sound with remote
> Possibly control mouse with remote
>
> The two that I have been looking at recently is the Universal Remote MX-850,
> http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=38,
> which won't turn my frontend off and on from what I can tell and the iMON
> Station,
> http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/imon22.aspx?topMenu=2&subMenu=1&leftMenu=22,
> which won't do Power On, and the iMON Inside will do power on but you have
> to have an exposed 5" drive bay (I don't). So what is everyone else using
> for the ultimate remote? Thanks
>
> Allan

I use a TiVo remote with a homebrew serial receiver.  I like the
ergonomics of the remote, you can easily use it without needing to
look at it and it fits comfortably in the hand.  The power and volume
control the TV and everything else is myth.  The only drawback is that
there's no back/exit button.  Power users might find the lack of
buttons a problem.