[mythtv-users] Backup

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:35:41 UTC 2006

> I'm just looking for something that will do a complete backup and let me
> completely restore over everything on my MythTV system except for my
> /video/recordings partition.  I was hoping for the ability to just do a
> restore, reboot my MythTV machine, and be back where I was with no
> adjustments needed.

I use sysrescuecd from http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

When I'm doing a major upgrade I have used this many times by booting
up the sysrescuecd and backing up my /root and /boot partitions (I
don't have /var and stuff like that on separate partitions). And then
when I've stuffed everything up I've restored from the backups with no
problems whatsoever. The backups get stored on a network drive and you
just tell it to restore the partitions from them. It's pretty easy  to
use and it works.

You have to know how to type in a command at the command prompt to
mount and unmount a samba share for the network drive, and the UI is
not the most intuitive, but these are very, very minor problems
compared to how good the thing is.

If you want to use it I actually wrote myself a mini HOWTO so I'd
always be able to do it without having to re-learn each time. I'd be
happy to share that with you.

Regards,
Phill