[mythtv-users] Paying one or some of the developers

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Tue Sep 5 02:22:24 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 September 2006 8:35 pm, Jake wrote:
> i seem to recall that the network socket control code was the result
> of a bounty and was then contributed back to the mythtv svn.  i can't
> seem to find the post about that though.

Indeed.  From a company, not an individual, and had an appropriate amount
attached to it.  I believe there was a small-ish follow-on as well.

Who would you rather collect money from, after working on something for a
couple of weeks:
- $25 from 40 individual contributions
- $1000 from 1 contribution

Now, just keeping in mind that regular people aren't likely to throw in $1k
each to get one single feature developed, and there's my original statement:

"Bounties from individuals are unlikely to get much interest.  They tend to be
on the order of a tiny amount of money for a huge amount of work."

Isaac