[mythtv-users] Dual display? Standalone X Session + Frontend

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 16:06:09 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Sam Wong <sam at hellosam.net> wrote:
> I got a nvidia card with DFP, VGA and TV out.
>
> I would like to know if there is anyway to get TV Out on frontend, and a
> standalone X session on the DFP?
>
> I can get TwinView working, it seems not quite possible to get DFP+TV
> out at the same time without TwinView. Currently the best I can do is a
> single X session, gdm auto login and auto start myfrontend on the TV screen.
> I am looking for a way to start frontend on TV screen, and a gdm login
> prompt on DFP screen which is independent of the TV.
>
> I was experimenting with Xnest and Xphery, but didn't get any progress.
>
> Any hints and tips are appreciated...thanks. BTW, I am using Ubuntu
> Dapper and MythTV 0.19

Yup.  There is a way, more than one way, for sure.

Search the archives for "dual displays" and look for posts from/to
Niels Dybdahl.  You should find a link to a file he calls xorg.conf.twinview.
That file name is misleading because he doesn't use Twinview.
He uses dual screens, or dual displays, or whatever you want to call it.

I have adapted the file referenced above to successfully bring up two
separate screens, one on the TV set and one on the monitor.  MythTV
runs normally on the TV screen while the monitor screen is available
for other activity (system checking, MythTV tweaking, even another
instance of a MythTV frontend).

--
MM