[mythtv-users] HDTV capture card for Japan?

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 09:24:56 UTC 2006

Hi,

I haven't been reading this list for some time so I apologize in
advance if I am going over well-trod ground.

I have been thinking about buying a new TV and making the move to
digital cable with HDTV. I know very little about HDTV, plasma TVs, HD
video cards etc. When I previously built a mythtv box (in Canada) I
read all the documentation I could find and went with a Hauppauge card
since it seemed the most popular choice.

I am wondering if anyone on this list is using mythtv in Japan and if
so if you can tell me if it is the same as the American system. (The
documentation page on HDTV starts off "There are a number of HDTV card
with Linux drivers which are known to operate in the United States..."

Secondly I am wondering if there is any consensus building in the
mythtv community about what is the best HDTV capture card? There is a
table of information about HDTV cards at
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_cards but (1) I don't
understand all of the terminology (QAM, PID filtering...) listed there
and (2) there is no discussion on buying advice.

Any input about the situation in Japan or about setting up and using
HDTV in general would be appreciated.

Craig