[mythtv-users] System audio via PVR-350

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 19:28:41 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> This is one of those questions where one feels that the information is
> right there in the FAQ, but I'm somehow misinterpreting it and missing
> the obvious. Anyway, here goes...
>
> I have a new MythTV box with a couple of PVR-350s in it. They are
> European PAL PVR-350s, so the audio/video out is a split cable, one end
> of which terminates in a SCART connector, while the other end terminates
> in a 3.5 mm stereo jack.
>
> I can get audio direct from the PVR-350; that's not a problem. In fact,
> I get audio from the PVR-350 even if I uncheck the box telling MythTV to
> directly use the PVR-350 for this purpose, so I suspect that the SCART
> cable sends audio to the TV no matter what the software tries to do.
>
> The thing is, however, I want to send audio via the sound card, so I
> have the 3.5 mm connector plugged into the motherboard's on-board sound
> card. Unfortunately, I have no external amplifier or home cinema kit of
> any kind, so there's nothing for me to plug the sound card's Line Out
> into.
>
> Is it possible for me to somehow get system audio to be sent via the
> PVR-350's TV Out? I'd like to be able to use MythMusic to play OGG files
> via the television. The TV has no separate audio inputs, as it expects
> both audio and video to be fed in via the SCART connector.
>
> Can this be done, or am I stuck with no music until I get an external
> amplifier?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian Macdonald               | Things past redress and now with me past
> ian at caliban.org             | care.   -- William Shakespeare, "Richard
> http://www.caliban.org/     | II"

The PVR-350 will only output sound from MPEG files that it is playing, so
there is no way that you can have the system sounds be piped out through
the PVR-350.

What you'll probably need is a special cable (I don't know if one exists
or not) that will let you connect a graphics input and a separate audio
output, and have them sent to a SCART output for your TV.  - a SCART
combiner cable of sorts.  If it doesn't exist, it should be fairly easily
to make one, if you have the skills.

I've always hated SCART since I was introduced to it, and this kind of
situation doesn't make it like it any more.  Wish I could help more,
perhaps somebody who uses SCART (I'm in North America) has more
suggestions.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com