[mythtv-users] Multiple Directories for Recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 2 05:19:08 UTC 2006

On 09/01/06 20:04, Lachlan McIntosh wrote:

>I was wondering if it is possible to spread TV show recordings across
>multiple directories or disks rather than a single directory.
>
>I would like to move older "do not delete" recordings to a NAS box, and
>free up space on my media box.
>
>Is this possible?

Yes, yes and no, and not yet.  (All answers to the question, "Is this
possible?")

Yes:  All recordings must be accessible through a single directory per
MythTV backend.  So, by setting up multiple backends, you can specify a
different recording directory for each backend and thereby spread your
recordings out across multiple directories.  Unfortunately, though, the
directory used by the backend with the most-preferred input will fill up
much more quickly than the other directories, so you'll probably end up
moving things around (which requires changing things in the database),
so this approach can be a lot of work.

Yes and no:  All recordings must be accessible through a single
directory per MythTV backend.  A symlink in the recordings directory on
the MythTV backend referring to the recording file in some other
directory makes the recording accessible through the appropriate
directory for the MythTV backend.  For this to work correctly (and to
continue to work), you should specify an absolute path in the link (i.e.
"ln -s /path/to/recordings/directory/subdirectory/recording.mpg
/path/to/recordings/directory" as opposed to "ln -s
./subdirectory/recording.mpg /path/to/recordings/directory") and you
should put the recording in a subdirectory of the recordings directory
(see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/219443#219443
).  Check out the contributed script myth_archive_job.pl (which has
nothing to do with MythArchive, BTW)--which was designed specifically to
make it easy to move recordings from the main recording directory to
other directories and create an appropriate symlink.  Note, though, that
the show will be recorded in the recordings directory and must be moved
after the recording has begun.

Not yet:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/200913#200913 .
Much work remains to be done on that patch.

Mike