No subject

Mon Oct 30 22:48:16 UTC 2006

Using SVN is a simple process of installing the software, making sure
it works, and doing some research if something breaks (or the program
segfaults, drops recordings, etc).  I, personally, am subscribed to
the -dev and -commit mailing lists, but I don't participate or keep
track of every commit that comes down the pike. (I don't participate
because I have yet to find a problem.. otherwise, I'd submit a bug
report.)  Perhaps that's not the intent of SVN, but it's "no-harm,
no-foul"  I don't take up devs' time, but the dev lists don't take up
my time either.  If I do encounter a problem, I google and/or search
the mailing lists for fixes.  But I by no means read /all/ the
commits/comments on the dev lists.

> If you were to start using SVN trunk now, you'd actually have to read
> back through all the information that's come through -dev and -commits
> since the release of 0.20 (unless you're willing to leach information
> off people who have been following along).

Can you explain why this is?  I know I didn't do it, and my system
works swimmingly.

> It will be /much/ easier to
> upgrade when everyone else is doing so when 0.21 is released.  At that
> point, documentation--such as release notes and changelogs and tons of
> info on the wiki--will be available to "catch you up."  If you upgrade
> now, /you/ are responsible for doing all the research required to catch up.

I agree that if someone were installing SVN as a clean install, they'd
have some homework to do to find out what is available in a particular
SVN build.  But, my suggestions were based on a person knowing what's
in .20 and what added functionality is in SVN.  I was suggesting using
SVN if .20 doesn't have what you need, but SVN does.

> If your plan is a "one-time-upgrade-to-SVN-trunk" just to get some
> features, leaching off others is not very considerate.

 How so?  Honestly, if I'm willing to do the research if something
breaks or doesn't work right, how am I inconsiderate?

> If, however, you
> do plan to keep up with Myth development from now on and to contribute
> code back into Myth, the leaching is more like "borrowing" (so make sure
> you pay it back :), but in truth, working through the code yourself is
> the best way to get the information/experience you need to start
> contributing to Myth development.

I guess I'm put off a bit by your assertion that I'm "leaching".  If a
person is using free software and causing no stress to the devs.  How
is that negative?  I suggest using SVN in the same manner as any other
Free software: If you use it, great. If you find a bug, do some
research and submit a bug report.

>  (comments on LVM)
> Mike

Those are some good points on LVM, and definitely good for the general
populace to see.  The people I've been helping, though, have different
hardware setups and different needs.  They prefer the use of Storage
Groups over manual maintenance (or settings up scripts).

I agree that when a person steps into the SVN waters, he/she needs to
do so with the understanding that it's _not_ the release version, may
have glitches, and is expected to either be competent enough to at
least submit a bug report or tuck-tail and reinstall the release
version.

Just for the record, my cadre of SVN-initiates always come to me
instead of bothering the devs, and they've had no problems that
weren't fixable.  So for what it's worth, even though we've not 'given
back', we've put no strain on the dev community. ;)

--PhillW