[mythtv-users] finer-grained expiry settings

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Oct 31 23:38:17 UTC 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 16:15, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>>> Right now I use Myth for Live TV, until I can get my tuner troubles
>>> worked
>>> out. I usually watch between 6pm and 4am. Because myth uses whole-
>>> day
>>> expiry intervals, it's usually expiring while I'm watching, because
>>> the
>>> default expiry is 1 day. I would prefer if Myth could expire
>>> every 1.5
>>> days so it's expiring when I'm not watching. This would be handy
>>> later too
>>> when I'm actually PVRing because the shows I want to watch tend to
>>> cluster
>>> in that same time interval so I'd rather expire outside that time.
>>
>> What's wrong with setting it to expire after 2 days?
>
> The my expiries still run at the same time I am viewing, just an
> extra day
> later.

I guess I don't understand why it's a problem to expire older
programs while you're watching newer programs. If you're experiencing
HD latency issues while deleting large files, choose the "Slow
Delete" option in mythtv-setup so your programs are slowly deleted
over time and you don't get a delay while deleting a large file. Or
you could switch your recorded programs to a JFS or XFS file system
(assuming you're using ext3 now) to avoid the problem of not being
able to access the drive while deleting programs.