[mythtv-users] Why is Mythfilldatabase deleting channels

tbaca at heritagewifi.com tbaca at heritagewifi.com
Tue Oct 31 20:35:26 UTC 2006

> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:29:26 -0500
> From: Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Why is Mythfilldatabase deleting channels
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 09:42 -0700, tbaca at heritagewifi.com wrote:
>> As for the 4DTV, it is a C-Band Satellite receiver and comes into Myth
>> via S-Video.  I have it only connected to the S-video input in
>> Myth-Setup.  Strange thing is that when I first created the line up,
>> it did not find most of the channels; I should have checked, but I bet
>> it only found the same 14 channels it wants to keep now.
>>  Until the present issue happened, I forgot how I got all the other
>>  channels in there before.  As many a mother will tell you, they
>>  forget the pain of childbirth once they see the baby.  That is
>>  kind-of where I was.  I had forgotten that I had hand entered some
>>  100 channels via the channel editor.
>> On a side note, maybe someone with better skill than I could help
>> create a basic SQL script that I could populate and then run to fill
>> the database with this information.
>> Back to main story, after I entered the channels via Channel Editor,
>> mythfilldatabase worked great.  As I said above, I ran
>> ¡§¡Xdo-channel-updates¡¨ and that is when things went wrong?  Looks
>> like I will need to re-hand enter the channels ?¼
>
> Ok, so what you need to do is get mythfilldatabase to insert these
> 'analog' channels for you.
>
> First go to the zap2it website and select all the channels you get,
> then run this:
>  mythfilldatabase --sourceid sourceid-of-4dtv-source \
>      --only-update-channels --do-channel-updates
>
> This will insert all the channels you have selected in the zap2it
> website for the 4DTV source.
>
> Then for the nightly run use this:
>  mythfilldatabase --remove-new-channels
> That will prevent MythTV from adding any new channels when they
> are added to the 4DTV lineup (since you most likely won't be
> able to get these).
>
> If you have any conventional analog sources, such as a OTA analog, then
> run this before running the above to get the listings:
>  mythfilldatabase --sourceid id-of-ota-analog-source \
>                   --only-update-channels
>
> BTW There appears to be something wrong with your mail reader,
> it looks like it is not setting "References:" header properly,
> so your replies drop out of the thread they were in.
>
> -- Daniel

Thanks, I'll give that a try!  I see there is a potential problem with the
4DTV listing discussed in a later message.
As for the e-mail,  Sorry about that, I get the digest listing, not
individual messages, so to reply, I have to do a lot ofd editing.  I think
I switch from digest and see how that goes.