[mythtv-users] missing lower half of video

sarvinc sarvinc at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 31 19:57:24 UTC 2006

djg at pdp8.net wrote:
>    I put the Nvidia card (6200) in and so far it solved most of my problem
> with the poor ATI card drivers which seemed to be getting worse not better
> at least for TV.  My PC no longer locks up when I try to reboot.
>
>    Overscan settings work with Nvidia.  The Nvidia card doesn't allow setting
> separate horizontal and vertical overscan which early ATI drivers did but
> overscan was totally broken in later drivers.  On my TV the amount of
> horizontal and vertical overscan is different so either loose a little from
> the sides or have black at top and bottom. May have to get out a screw driver
> at some point.
>
>    Also the Nvidia doesn't allow both SVIDEO and composite to be active at
> the same time.  With the ATI card I was using them to separate TV's until
> a later driver broke composite entirely.

My experience pretty much mirrors yours; ATIs drivers seem to be getting
worse, not better, with time. I have an Nvidia 5500 sitting next to me
as we speak. I think I actually found the solution for the ATI driver.
In your xorg.conf under the "Device" -> "Option" -> "Video Overlay"
needs to be switched to "off"