[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 19:56:42 UTC 2006

> Now for more questions. My card has composite, RCA, and S-Video
> connectors. My /dev directory has /dev/video0, /dev/video24, and
> /dev/video32. Can someone explane the difference between these? I think the
> problem I have with having no picture when I say "watch TV" is related to
> this. Also how do I stop watching TV? Kinda annoying to sit there with a

You want to use /dev/video0.  You will select composite, RCA, or S-Video in
mythtvsetup.

My other question is about the backend. When booting it says it is starting
> the backend. When I try and run mythfrontend it says it can't connect to the
> backend. I open another windows and run mythbackend. I go back to the first
> and run mythfrontend and it works. Any ideas why?

I had a similar problem on mine.  If your mythbackend file in
/etc/rc.d/init.d is a script add the line export HOME=/root (or whatever
your home directory is) and it should work.  The problem is that mythbackend
is looking for your mysql.txt file in /.mythtv/ instead in your home
directory.  You can also copy your mysql.txt file to /.mythtv/ to fix it.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.