[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400 memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Oct 31 02:46:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-30-10 at 21:35 -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> If Myth is using the code then it will stay in memory.

If it's using at the moment you take your snapshot, sure.  But certainly
not every part of a process is running all the time.

> You're saying that
> Linux is swapping out program code in order to keep the filesystem cache
> large

Sure.

> which isn't true unless theres some big unknown bug out there.

I don't profess to know the Linux VM, but it is entirely possible and in
fact I would hope probable that swapping out some code that is not being
used at the moment in favour of caching some heavily used disk pages is
actually being done, indeed.

It's like the position that no amount of memory is enough to not
need/use swap.  Even if you have 4G of memory, it's better to swap out
some very unused pages of memory for even just slightly more used disk
blocks.

> Or
> maybe you're thinking that all the GUI code in the Qt libraries is going
> to suddenly need to be swapped into memory while mythbackend is running.

Well, certainly a lot of something needs swapping in from disk on my
machine.  Of course I don't know the details of what it is that is being
swapped in and out, I just know a lot more of it happens in 0.20.

> Most of it will never need to be read from anywhere so the VSZ number
> is meaningless.

Tell that to my FE/BE's disk.

b.

Brian J. Murrell