[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400 memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Oct 31 02:20:17 UTC 2006

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> It's not jumping to conclusions.  It's listening to how more the disk
> thrashes and how much more recordings drop frames and how much the
> frontend stutters and pauses when things (like mythfilldatabase for
> example) start up compared to 0.19.  It is soooo dramatic that it is
> that noticeable, yes.  Unlike many, when I upgraded my BE/FE to 0.19 to
> 0.20 that is all that was upgraded.  No new O/S, no new kernel, etc.
> just myth.

I haven't had any stutters or drops, but I did notice the increase in
memory usage.  With 256 megabytes of RAM and 512 megabytes of swap I now
come very close to running out of swap when mythfilldatabase runs.
Every so often I also get long pauses after choosing menu items due to
the system having to swap.  Right now I'm just living with it because I
don't have an extra $65 to drop on a 512 megabyte stick of SDRAM, but
that's how I plan to solve the problem.  Hopefully the memory
requirements won't double again with the next release, I've only got one
DIMM slot available in that machine. ;)