[mythtv-users] alsaconf

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 01:53:03 UTC 2006

> >#aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
> >ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1629:(snd_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) Unknown
> >field ipc_sem
> >aplay: main:547: audio open error: Invalid argument

I had this problem recently after upgrading to .20. The update killed
some but not all alsa playback with the same error -- live TV and
recordings would work but .avis would not.

After googling, I found the problem was likely with how alsa was
updated from atrpms.

The solution that worked for me was:

#mv /etc/alsa/pcm/dsnoop.conf.rpmnew /etc/alsa/pcm/dsnoop.conf
#mv /etc/alsa/pcm/dmix.conf.rpmnew /etc/alsa/pcm/dmix.conf

Good luck,