[mythtv-users] alsaconf

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 30 21:34:47 UTC 2006

On 10/30/06 10:09, Iohan Reyes wrote:

>I have managed to mangle the
>/etc/modprobe.conf file to the point where I have lost all lines related
>to sound.

In a properly configured system with newish kernel, ALSA, and udev, you
shouldn't need anything in modprobe.conf for ALSA.  The one exception is
you may want lines to force loading the OSS-comaptibility modules after
the ALSA-prerequisites are loaded...

>  I then went to the ALSA website and copy and pasted the lines
>that are supposed to be put into /etc/modules.conf and tried them both
>in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf.

But the modprobe.conf lines on the ALSA website don't load the
OSS-compatibility modules, so what you put in your modprobe.conf
probably shouldn't be there.

>  Drivers seemed to load,
>but aplay wouldn't play any wav files.

>#aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
>ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1629:(snd_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) Unknown
>field ipc_sem
>aplay: main:547: audio open error: Invalid argument

That's either a broken ALSA install (i.e. mismatched kernel/ALSA
driver/alsa-utils versions) or a broken ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf.

My recommendation is to first move /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc to
some other name (or just delete them) and try again.

Mike