[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400 memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Mon Oct 30 18:23:57 UTC 2006

>> Also, most people are running both the frontend and the backend on the
>> same machine (although I am not).  This has higher memory requirements
>> than just a regular set-top box.
>>

> Do you think cableco supplied DVRs have a gig of ram in them?

Definitely not. :)  A prime example is my dual-tuner DirecTivo.  It has
64MB of RAM.. that's it.  It can record two shows and you can watch a
previously recorded show all at the same time.  At that point, though,
you can hear the thrashing of the disk, but that is all disk i/o..

Of course, this thing runs a highly customized and stripped down mips
kernel, busybox, etc.  It is definitely *not* a full blown linux based
machine.  Remember, there is a big difference between an off-the-shelf
STB and a home-brewed set-top-box: the off-the-shelf one is highly
customized with a lot of integrated hardware, whereas the home-brewed
one is completely modular and capable of doing much, much more.

-Rich